Your business doesn’t have to be on every social media platform, but it should be on at least one. It’s important to know the demographics of each channel because it will help to determine which social media channel/s are best for your business. You don’t want to make the mistake of advertising on Snapchat when your target audience is ages 40-55, just because it’s a popular platform.
The main social media channels to advertise on are Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and Snapchat. Below are the key demographics to help you determine where your target audience is.
- 71% of people aged 18-24 use Instagram
- 52% female and 42% male
- 80% of users follow at least one business
- 80% of people aged 30-49 use Facebook
- 53% female and 47% male
- 96% of users access Facebook through mobile
- 40% of people aged 18-29 use Twitter
- 47% female and 53% male
- 46% of users use the app every day
- 34% of people aged 18-29 and 34% of people aged 30-49 use Pinterest
- 79.5% female and 20.5% male
- 59% of millennials have discovered products on Pinterest
- 38% of people aged 25-34 use LinkedIn
- 44% female and 56% male
- 78% of B2B marketers say LinkedIn is the most efficient social platform for content marketing
- 69% of people aged 13-17 use Snapchat
- 61% female and 38% male
- 25-30 minutes is the average time spent on Snapchat per day
After limiting it down by demographics, you have to look at what each social channel is mainly used for. For example, don’t utilize Instagram if you’re not going to take and edit high quality photos on regular basis. A great way to discover if a certain platform is right for your business is to look up your industry on that platform. If your industry is booming on that platform, you know it’s right for you!
Social media marketing can be hard to comprehend, but with some help and research, you will be able to reap the rewards of utilizing this vast marketing channel. Make sure to check out our Social Media Management services here at Murray Media Group.
Here is a resource you can use – https://keap.com/business-success-blog/marketing/social-media/how-to-choose-social-media-that-fits-your-small-business